Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Yesterday's catch up...vanilla cookies!

I seem to be wanting lots of sweets...yay for pregnancy cravings! Today I promise to make some real food so that we can be healthier than cookie monster...
...but for yesterday's second catch up post, we're still on the sugar...Vanilla cookies!


The original recipe called these "Vanilla Wafers," but they were much more cake like than the actual 'Nilla Wafer cookies. The original recipe said to chill the dough and then roll it out (to be cut with cookie cutters), but even after a couple hours in the fridge, the dough was too soft/sticky for me to cut it with cutters. So I did drop cookies instead (some of the comments on the original site said they did the same with pastry bags right after mixing rather than waiting, so I figured it would work out alright!). Because my oven seems to cook over-hot, I turned the temperature down to 350* and kept an eye on the cookies until the bottoms looked golden.


These cookies are very light and vanilla-y...I left them plain, but they would be great with frosting too! The recipe below is my variation (see the link above for the original!).

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs and beat well. Sift together flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture. Add milk and vanilla; mix well.
  2. Place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F until the bottoms are golden brown.

    The recipe says it will make 24 cookies, but I ended up with 42 (3 and a half dozen!)!

1 comment: