Thursday, May 5, 2011

SUCCESS!! Fresh-baked BAGELS!

Oh.My.Word. These bagels are the BIGGEST success I've *ever* had with baking a bread-like substance with yeast...I'm SO excited!!

These taste SO perfect! I tried one with butter on half and cream cheese on the other...it's good with either!! And I'm sure they would be delicious with jam/jelly, cinnamon sugar spread, or anything else too!!

This recipe came from two sites. The place I originally found it was here, which shows the step-by-step instructions with pictures of the entire process. However, it was missing the measurements of the ingredients, so I also looked at the link where she had found her original recipe: which is here.

 Waiting patiently to try out a bagel!

My bagels (as seen in the pictures) didn't get as huge and puffy as theirs did, which makes me think my kitchen wasn't warm enough to have them rise as much as they did. So I'll try making them bigger next time. But the taste is PERFECT, so I'm going to be sure to stick with the recipe!!

Ingredients:
  • ⅔ cups Warm Water
  • ½ Tablespoons Sugar
  • 1-½ teaspoon Yeast
  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • ½ Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • ¾ teaspoons Salt
Directions:
In the bottom of your mixer bowl, combine the water, sugar, and yeast and let the yeast develop for about 5 minutes. Add in flour, vegetable oil, and salt and mix with a dough hook (or by hand) until the dough is elastic and tough. You may need to add in a bit of extra water, but do it little by little. Let the dough sit and rise in a warm place for 20-30 minutes.


Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead. Cut into 6 equal pieces. Roll each individual piece into a “snake” long enough to wrap around your palm. Dip each end of the dough in water and press together in your palm, forming a circle. Place the formed bagels on a floured board and allow to rise another 20-30 minutes.


Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a heavy-bottomed pot. When the water is gently boiling, place 2-3 bagels into the water for 1 minute and then flip to boil on the other side for another minute.


Remove the bagels, place them on paper towels to take off excess moisture, then place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining bagels.


Bake in the oven on 425ºF for 18 minutes, turning them over after 10 minutes. Enjoy! 



As I've (already) said (multiple times) above, these were sooo yummy! The insides are soft and (when I ate them) warm and delicious!

Try them!! They were super easy and yummy and they probably cost me way less than a dollar to make 6...which is WAY cheaper than buying them at the store. Indeed! ...and now I'm off to eat another...it's snack time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment