But! Then I did a little workout and got a nice hot shower and felt much more productive...so I decided to try out the homemade tortilla recipe I've been saving. And though last night's attempt at food didn't turn out so well, these were great!
My recipe is a little different step-wise than the original, but it's the same ingredients and basic principle :-)
Homemade Tortillas (original)
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water
1. Mix all the ingredients until they form a dough.
2. Roll the dough into several small balls. (My batch made 7) Flatten each ball into a tortilla. (I used my rolling pin)
3. Cook each tortilla in a flat pan on the stove until each side has the little brown spots you see on store-bought tortillas.
And then we made them into dessert....oh yes.
This is the original recipe that I based our dessert flautas off, but I kinda just went off the cuff while making them.
Peeled, sliced apples (I used 2 medium sized apples)
1. Coat cut apples with lemon juice and cinnamon-sugar. (I made mine ahead of time, and let it sit in the fridge)
2. melt a couple tablespoons of butter in a pan on the stove (I used the same pan that I had used for tortillas), brush onto the tortillas. Sprinkle tortillas (both sides) with cinnamon-sugar.
3. Put the tortillas on a cookie sheet and warm them in the oven for a minute or two.
4. Meanwhile, cook the apple mixture in the remainder of the butter until the juice is bubbly.
5. Take the tortillas out of the oven and roll them up carefully. Return to the oven.
|We had ours with vanilla frozen yogurt!|